Saturday, March 27, 2010

Earth Hour Effective?

Earth Hour is a global initiative organized by the World Wildlife Fund which encourages individuals and businesses to turn off their non-essential lights and appliances for an hour. The initiative aims to raise awareness about climate change and the effects our energy usage has on the environment.

It may look like I am not participating in Earth Hour. I am no environment hater, but I have three essays to write (not to mention some blog requirements to fulfil!) so I need all the time I can get with the lights on. Some people respond negatively to one not participating in Earth Hour, but my effect on the planet is greater than one hour. I personally believe it is our consistent habits that are more important than spending one hour with the lights off.

I think creating awareness about the issue is a good thing, and it is neat that it is something that people all over the world participate in at the same time, fostering a sense of global community. I know campus organizations have encouraged the school to turn off some lights during Earth Hour, and there have been celebrations in Toronto that included the lights at the CN Tower being turned off.

However, if once it is over, people go back to wasting power, is it really effective? On the Earth Hour site, it encourages participants to upload pictures and videos to Flickr and Youtube, as well as tweet about what they are doing, which can be engaging, but doesn’t it encourages people to then get on their computers and upload this stuff?

On a personal note, when I was in second year, my roommates were all keen to participate in Earth Hour, shutting off all the lights in the house and breaking out candles to light. I was down for them celebrating, but I was working on an essay (this time of year is always busy!) and wanted to get work done before going out. My roommates pressured me into turning out my lights, so for an hour I did work in the dark except for a small light I turned on in my room. When the hour was over, all the lights went back on, and one of my roommates left with her boyfriend to go to the movies...and left the lights on in her room.

Did you participate in Earth Hour?

4 comments:

  1. I would have to agree i think it is a great tool to get people everywhere thinking about our effect on the environment but if everyone everyday made more of a conscious effort to do simple things like you said: make sure you turn the lights off in a room when no ones in it, and don't leave your computer on while your not using it(something i know i am guilty of doing) then we would be much better off then just saving energy for that one hour of a day a year in which earth hour takes place. It's a really good idea in theory but i think It has to be an everyday thing for it to have a real effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you guys. I unfortunately wasn't able to participate as well...since I had just as many essays and assignments as it seems you did - when my friends asked me what I did during earth hour, I told them I was on my laptop...all the lights were off, but I needed my computer. I found myself having to justify my use of a computer by saying that "It's battery powered! I wasn't connected to an outlet!" as my friends bashed my insensitivity towards the Earth! As if!

    You guys have definitely hit the nail on the head - it's ultimately most important to have an energy conscious mind, rather than participating in a "school spirit" type event where it's trendy to turn off the lights for an hour and play cards by candle light. It's a gimmick...but at least it gets the word around that we need to change our mind set about energy.
    I guess that's better than what we had even 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about Earth Hour, thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to participate in Earth Hour this year :3

    ReplyDelete